Our recent iteration of our “Flower Girl” has drawn some attention and questions. Even after people realize that it is a composite, they’re still not sure how certain things were accomplished.
So here is how we did it:
- We began with a beautiful photographic image.
- The image of the girl was extracted from the background, and hand-painted in Corel Painter.
- The background was hand painted from scratch, using a color palette taken from the girl.
- The floor is a continuation of the background, with a soft pink layer in Photoshop, again, taken from the palette.
- We made a “reflection” of the girl by copying the layer of the girl and flipping it vertically and lowering the opacity.
- The shadow under the girl is a layer of black blur, then blended with the floor.
I still LOVE the original photograph.. I’m not advocating to paint every image that comes out of the camera, but I just want to stay open to the possibilities where painting can enhance an image.